We will complete our series of thoughts this week on broken emotions. I am trusting God to bring great healing to us. But for a minute I want to direct our thoughts to something that we won’t necessarily talk about in the teaching time, “secondhand emotions.”
Secondhand emotions often come from our reactions to what someone else is feeling, saying or doing. Joelle Lewis and I had a conversation about this last Sunday at the door. She aptly said, “When we say things like, ‘you make me so mad,’ we are totally giving the power of our happiness over to someone else.” So true! In secondhand emotions, we are often letting someone else have control. Secondhand emotions are the result of reacting instead of responding. I am reacting when I take action back at someone based on what they said, did, or didn’t do. In reacting I am giving power over to them, instead of keeping the power to do the right thing by responding.
It is hard to think of the words “secondhand emotion” without thinking of Tina Turner’s song, What’s Love Got to do with It?” Tina, love has everything to do with it!
The way through secondhand emotions, and our equally damaging reactions is to learn to love like Jesus loves. Not eros reactionary love that Tina Turner sings about, but agape the kind of love Jesus talks about. Eros is the love of reaction, but the agape love that Jesus puts in our hearts is the love of doing what is right, honorable, and true regardless of the circumstances.
The way to joy and happiness is Jesus’ kind of love!
I’ll see you this weekend.
Wednesdays @Bomber Mtn. Civic Center
Meal served from 5:30-6:30:
Tacos/Burritos, Refried Beans, Nachos, Salad Bar, Dessert
Small groups for everyone 6:30-7:45:
- Adults w/ Pastor Paul will be studying “Teach Us to Pray”.
- Flashpoint Youth (Middle School & High School) will be studying “Who’s Who in the Bible”.
- Kindle Kids (infants-5th grade) will be studying Daniel and learning how to stand up for what we believe.
Financial Update Since the Matching Grant
- Our Building Fund balance is $1,360,709. Thank you for your faithfulness. A large portion of this has been invested in short-term CDs at Edward Jones Financials.
- The next steps for the Building Committee Team are working with the architects through design and development and then choosing a general contractor to fully determine the final cost. While we are presently about one-fourth of the way, building materials continue to drop in price.
- The Financial Team is working on grant writing to various groups in order to raise outside funding.
- Be praying at what point we as a church should launch the “Strengthen Our Hands to Build” capital campaign.
It is so fun to see what an amazing God can do through ordinary and faithful people.
Save the Dates
* Tea@ the TA 10:00 am. February 11. Register NOW – seats are limited.
* Dave Limmer speaking at GF – March 11 &12.
* Casas por Christo Mission Trip – March 12-17
Women of Grace
This year Women of Grace will be offering a variety of ways we can serve, grow and connect with other women – bible studies, events, and monthly gatherings.
To start the year you can join the study “Women Of The Bible“. The study starts this Thursday, January 19th at 5:30 pm at the church. Stop in and check it out.
Register NOW for the 2nd Annual Tea @ The TA on Saturday, February 11th at 10 am.
We will be announcing more events so make sure you stay informed by checking out the Women of Grace page on the church website gracefellowshipwy.com
Partnering With Grace
We are offering two classes: February 4, @ 3:45, or February 5, @ 11:00 (pick one). These classes are designed to help you understand the history of Grace and where God is taking us. Partner with us in the powerful movement of God. You are here for a time such as this. Contact the church office to register.
Children’s Church @ Grace Fellowship 5:30 pm– 7:00 pm
Children’s Church @ Grace Fellowship 9:30 am-11:00 am
Kindle Kids for children infants through 5th grade 6:30-7:45 pm at Grace Fellowship
Flashpoint Youth for Middle School & High School Students
Youth group at Bomber Mount Civic Center 6:30-7:45 pm
Adult Small Groups
Mom’s in Prayer International 8:00 am or after school drop off @ Grace in the Fellowship Hall
Family Night @ Bomber Mtn Civic Center | Meal 5:30-6:30 | Small Groups 6:30-7:45
Prayer for Missions in the Prayer Room @ GF 12:00 pm-1:00 pm
Ladies Bible Study in the Fellowship Hall at GF. Studying Women of the Bible @ 5:30 pm